Κυριακή 3 Νοεμβρίου 2013

Summer in Greece July 13th-August 13th!!

PROLOGUE

Yeeaaahhhh!!! Summer in Greece after being in the U.S.A for 1 year and a half.. ! 

Going there in numbers ------>

4 different flights, 5 cities (Seattle, Portland, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Athens), 28 hours, 1,680 minutes, 100,800 seconds, 6,161 miles!!! 



Sunday, July 14th 2013 (09:30 pm Athens's time)

Just arrived in the " Eleftherios Venizelos - Athens International Airport" being welcomed by my family.
And somewhere here my vacations just began! The first 5 days were little bit "tough" as it was a period of adjustment (again), and "quiet" as well.
But, "Let's get the party started" from the 6th day and on! Turu-turu-turu.... http://youtu.be/sXdbrbrxsQ0

It's about a theme party called "Being tourist in my hometown and the places that I used to go when I was little". Acting like a tourist in my country, BUT I had a huge advantage, which was that I knew where I was going and how!! 
My first sightseeing was Cape Sounio where the temple of Poseidon (Neptune) is located.With my brother, we admired the view (the Aegean Sea) and, also, enjoyed the sea. Plus, the ride with the car was magic as well!
(Cape Sounio on 07/23/2013) 


The second sightseeing was the Parthenon and the Odeon of Herodes Atticus! That day was very hot, but I enjoyed it! I won't mention the significance of the monuments, it's known and it's better for someone to discover it by himself/herself. However, since I was a "tourist", there were a lot of pictures taken!!! ;)
(Acropolis and the Odeon of Herodes Atticus on 07/25/2013) 

Tuesday, July 30th 2013

Since I was in Greece, it sounds "crazy"  not visiting an island and, especially, the island that I used to go for 21 years every summer, Lipsi-Dodecanese. It was a great opportunity to enjoy the sun, the sea and to make a surprise to my grandparents as well. So, I booked my tickets, I packed and said nothing to my "pappou and yiayia" !!! Hahahahahaha... :P

Wednesday, July 31st 2013

It's a lovely, sunny and, of course, hot afternoon. I was about to walk in Plaka, a neighborhood built on the foothills of Acropolis's rock.  It's one of the most beautiful places for someone to visit. Why?? Because, at some point anyone thinks that he/she is on an island or an Old Town.

Saturday, August 3rd 2013

I was already on the boat at 11 pm. The sail was about to begin in an hour. My destination was the port of Patmos, an island 1 hour way from Lipsi. I arrived there at 8:30 am the next day, on Sunday, August 4th 2013. Patmos is one of my favorite places to visit and I had a whole day before getting the ferry for Lipsi. So, I didn't waste my time and I started walking around the Skala area, and then I headed to Chora, where the Apocalypse (Revelation)  of Saint John is located and the monastery of St. Gerasimos, which anyone can see from the port. After walking in Chora and exploring the small souvenir shops, I enjoyed my coffee by reading a book at a coffee shop and looking at the view below.. Aaaaahhhhhh ... [sighing...]



Later, I decided to get back in Skala on foot! It took me 1 hour and a lot of sunscreen to do it! During my walk, I thought that the sense of SMELL is important!! I can't describe a summer in Greece without mentioning the smell of ouzo with grilled octopus, french fries and Greek salad; without the smell of the sunscreen on everyone or the smell that emerges from the trees and bushes because of the heat and the sea's moisture or without the smell of the watermelon with feta cheese!! Of course the sense of vision is great, too, but anyone has memories because of the smell! My trip on Patmos came to an end by reading my book on a beach and laughing with the kids who were playing.

Around 9 pm, I arrived in Lipsi. It was time for the surprise to my grandparents! They weren't expecting me at all, and when they saw me, they got very happy! My "tourist-game" on the island began the next day, on Monday. I decided to go for swimming on Platis Yialos beach, which is popular for its spectacular turquoise water, white bottom and golden sand!!! Sometimes, someone can see ducks taking their bath and playing around by making noise, but they 're so cute! Hahhahahaha!! 

 

On the way back home on foot (once again!), I enjoyed the sunset, the small fishing boats at the port and the people wandering and having a great time! ---->PRICELESS FEELING!! 

On Tuesday (08/06/2013), I visited another beach, which is quite different from the previous one and known as the beach of pebbles inside 
and outside of the water.



On the one side of the beach, there are the seals' caves which are a perfect place for people who seek privacy.. Anyway, leaving from there, I made a stop at the monastery of the island the Virgin Maria of Death. It's called like that, because the icon shows the Virgin holding Jesus Christ crucified, and the crucifixion implies the death of Christ.  


Anyway, the following day, which was also the last one on the island, was same as the other ones. Being on the beach, reading book, having a coffee...

But, it was time to go back in Athens. I packed my things, I greeted my grandparents and I got on the boat. The next morning, I was back in Piraeus, the port of Athens. The following days got passed by spending time with my friends, my family and seeing people that I hadn't seen for a long time..

However, 1 month had already passed and I had to come back in Seattle,WA with my host family. 

P.S. : I know the end was abrupt, but, always, the end of something fun, it's not happy.. :( 


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου